About Me

My photo
I am a scholar, writer, dancer, traveler, dreamer, adventurer, and tea connoisseur. I love to travel whether it be through volunteering in the Peace Corps, interning internationally or for my own delight.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Big Loud Georgian Wedding (Experience that is)

This past weekend I attended my first Georgian wedding reception. No, I didn't get to go to the wedding (the church where it was held is super small and only a handful of guests were invited to actual ceremony), but I did get to attend the reception afterwards. My host dad's cousin was getting married and was having the reception at his house after the ceremony.  As I am told, on the day of the wedding the groom goes to the bride's village to pick up his bride. They then go to the church for the wedding and then have the huge supra/wedding reception at the groom's village. After the wedding ceremony the wedding party begins their dangerous journey to the reception in a fleet of decorated cars. I don't know if these cars did it but from other wedding processions I've witnessed, the cars drive dangerously fast around round abouts disregarding any of the traffic laws or on coming traffic... (usually someone is hanging out the window video tapping the whole event).

Here's where my part of the story comes in:

After the wedding party arrived at the groom's house. The location of the reception was super convenient seeing  that the house where it was being held was less than 500 yards away from my house. The reception was held in the front yard of the house in the middle of their beautiful garden. There were two big tents set up and four huge supra table, and I mean Davinci's Last Super tables huge! The tables were covered with so much food that at some parts of the table, the food was stacked four plates high right on top of each other.

The bride and groom arrived in horse drawn buggy and made their way to their special table located at the front of the reception area. The tamada (toast master) quickly introduced the new couple and began his tamada duties of toasting all night.

Let me tell you, Georgians know how to throw a party. You never knew what was going to come next when it came to the style of music played on the dance floor. One song would be traditional Georgian song where all the movements are very precise and the demeanor is very proper....another song would be gangam style or another contemporary song in which everyone would be fist pumping. You just never knew what the mood would be like after a song ended and the next one began.


My very cute parents at the wedding
Tamada (toastmaster)  and his drinking horn

Bride and Groom

Supra table....so much food





Dance Time!!!

1 comment:

  1. Everyone seems to be on top nodes of fun and entertainment. I must say this is a superb experience for all guests. My friend looked stunning at her special day. Party was organized by uncle at one of the mesmerizing wedding venues with pomp and show. Quality dinner and party favors captured the eyes of all guests.

    ReplyDelete