About Me

My photo
I am a scholar, writer, dancer, traveler, dreamer, adventurer, and tea connoisseur. I love to travel whether it be through volunteering in the Peace Corps, interning internationally or for my own delight.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

I've Been Around...

I have been living with my host family for almost two weeks! Things are a little awkward…but what do you expect when you move into a new family and can only speak a few phrases to them. The first two days I completely let myself go and slept for most of the day…PST will wear you out like that. The next day I went on an excursion with 24 15-16 something year old girls to see some of the churches and lakes around the area. At one point I could see the mountains where the boarder of Russia lies. The trip was amazing; it was like being in summer camp again. The girls were braiding each other’s hair in the marsh while others were singing traditional Georgian songs in a round.

Our first stop was to Gremi Church, a 16th century church. It is the Church of the Archangels in the little town of Gremi in the Kakheti region. It has a secret tunnel and everything. Very Game of Thrones like!

After our visit to Gremi, we went to go see Nekresi Monastery. Nekresi Monastery is a 6th century monastery located on top of a steep mountain. This place has some interesting history behind it causing it to be the only Christian church where pigs can be sacrificed. Legend has it that during the Muslim Lezghins invasion, people sought the monastery for refuge. They covered the area with pigs’ blood and skin making it impure for the invaders to enter. Very interesting indeed and because of this piece of history, we were allowed to have grilled pork kabobs for dinner.  It was very picturesque and overlooked most of the countryside below it. We even saw the remains of an old pagan structure in the field below us.
Nekresi Monastery

Me at Nekresi Monastary
Well seeing all those churches worked up our appetite so we then had huge women’s supra with water fights, dodge ball and badminton in-between. We later closed the day’s activities by swimming in Illia’s lake.
Getting Ready for a our women's supra
Pagan Site below






Later That Week...
Then this past Saturday a few G13s and I took a trip to the beach to bring our vacation time into full swing.  The beach is quite a journey for me since is on the opposite side of the country…but I made it! It only took 6 different marshutkas, one metro, and a book and a half but I finally made it to the beach and back again in one weekend.   A lot of work to only be at the beach for nine hours but it was totally worth it. There were 11 of us that got together on the beach. Most of the time there we spent trying to figure out the best approach for entering the water…rock beaches and their rocky shores can be hard to navigate.

My weekend Journey to the Beach and Back again:   

Friday:
2:30pm Friday afternoon take 45min marshutka ride from Sagarejo to Tbilisi

3:30 Arrive in Tbilisi…take one metro to the Didube  Bustop in downtown Tbilisi

4:00 Meet Brenna at stop, procure a marshutka ride to Khashuri

 5:30ish Arrive in Khashuri, stay with Melissa for the night

Saturday:
5:30am Get up and board 6am Marshutka for Batumi

10am Arrive in Batumi …hang out at the beach and coffee shop

 7pm board marshutka and drive 3 hours to Kutaisi…Stay at Ann’s for the night

Sunday:
2:30pm Failed to catch a marshutka to take us to the marshutka stop in order to catch another marshutka  to take us to Tbilisi…projected arrival time to Tbilisi at this point, 8pm…last marsh to leave from Tbilisi to Sagarejo leaves at 7:30…screwed.  End up staying another night at Ann’s-

Monday-

12pm Catch the marshutka in Kutaisi a

4pm finally arrive in Tbilisi 

At this point, i  met Emily, the older Response volunteer that was finishing her service and had a few drinks together in order to celebrate her last night of service in Georgia. After drinks we took another marshutka back to our site. I had planned on going to my house and passing out from exhaustion but Emily’s family insisted that I have dinner with them before doing so. She had somehow overheard her director making plans to rent a marshutka and have all the girls in Emily’s organization take it to the airport and surprise her there. We had to pretend to the girls and her director  that we were unaware of said plans….This was much harder than we thought since the girls assumed I didn’t know the plan and kept on insisting that I go to bed…(by this point it was 10pm and they were planning on leaving at 12am). After an hour nap my sister woke me up and told me of the big surprise. We, along with eight other girls and Emily’s director, climbed into a marshutka in the dead of night and took the windy countryside roads out of Sagarejo and to Tbilisi. (Funny, I just left this city 4 hours previous). We “surprised” Emily at the airport and waited with her until her flight left at 3am. Then we piled back on the marshutka and drove the next hour back to Sagarejo.  

 4am crawl into bed…but can’t sleep…at 5am my Skype rings and friends in America want to talk…and so it goes


Like I’ve said, I’ve been around

No comments:

Post a Comment