About Me

My photo
I am a scholar, writer, dancer, traveler, dreamer, adventurer, and tea connoisseur. I love to travel whether it be through volunteering in the Peace Corps, interning internationally or for my own delight.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Georgian Easter


Georgian Easter (Sunday April 28th this year) is such an interesting experience. The whole extended family meets together at the family’s cemetery plot to have an Easter supra.  There are picnic tables between the grave sites. They start out their celebration by rolling an Easter egg across the grave and then sprinkling wine across the grave in the form of a cross.  Then the women all sit at the table and eat while the men stand around it and toast each other. After we had finished our food, we packed up and headed to the next cemetery in town where Gabro’s side of the family is buried and had another small supra. We repeated the wine sprinkling and the egg rolling as well as the toasting. Then the whole family headed back to our house where we had yet another supra. Keep in mind this is all in three hours. So much food! I feel like I have gained 10 pounds while being here. Later after the celebration I met up with my cluster mates Brenna and Aaron for “studying” but really it was just hanging out and eating more food. We then walked across the street to collect/rescue Kirk from his Easter celebration. The next few hours were spent at Aaron’s host family’s house doing dance moves, learning new Georgian words and singing to Adele.

Part of my family and I at the supra
Grave plots with picnic tables in between


Supra meal
Beautiful view from the village


1 comment:

  1. Love the view!! How does your host mom stay skinny??

    ReplyDelete