About Me

My photo
I am a scholar, writer, dancer, traveler, dreamer, adventurer, and tea connoisseur. I love to travel whether it be through volunteering in the Peace Corps, interning internationally or for my own delight.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Borjomi!


These are pictures from Borjomi from a few weeks ago.  I went to Borjomi with our volunteer group and took my brother Atchiko with me on the trip. I don’t think he or the other host brothers and sisters of our group really knew what they were getting into. We went on a four mile hike up a small mountain that overlooked Borjomi. There was a small orthodox church at the top that we could walk into and take pictures of.  The girls had to wear head scarfs and skirts to get into the church.  The church was so small that it was almost like a small shack.  Then our whole group stopped for a supra lunch where we all shared our food that our host moms had packed for us. There was katchapuri, walnut past, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggs, chocolate, Fanta soda, oranges, kiwis, apples and bananas, and homemade cheese.  We then hiked down the mountain to this nice lookout point where we took a lot of pictures.  We or course had to stop and taste that natural spring in Borjomi. Borjomi is known worldwide for its natural mineral water. Many people head to the city for its healing properties.  After our adventure ended, we took a train ride back to Osiauri. I was pretty tuckered out but Atchiko was beat. We both took afternoon naps afterwards.



Inside the very small but very pretty church 
Me and my head scarf in the church

The fountain

Here are pictures of the famous Borjomi Fountain. All of the Volunteers are gathered around it. The water straight from the ground is kind of warm and smells like sulfur. I think I like it better when its cold and carbonated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment