About Me

My photo
I am a scholar, writer, dancer, traveler, dreamer, adventurer, and tea connoisseur. I love to travel whether it be through volunteering in the Peace Corps, interning internationally or for my own delight.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Doctors, needles and exams oh my!

I've been spending the last month getting all my exams needed for my medical clearance. The Peace Corps has its own medical portal where we submit our whole life in the form of test results and clearances from doctors. Last week I went to the Knox health department thinking I only needed to receive a polio vaccination. I spent the next hour and a half trying to convince the doctor that I wasn't going to Russia but in fact going to Georgia. She pulled up the CDC information and kept asking where in Russia I'd be staying. After I had convinced her that Georgia was a real country and that I didn't need a typhoid shot, she started tallying all the vaccinations I needed. Instead of just receiving the polio shot which I had come in for I also was given a flu shot, 1 dose of Hep A, and a DTAP.  Two shots in each arm mind you. I later went into work in a short sleeved shirt to show off my battle scars.

This week I got my physical done as well as all the blood tests that the Peace Corps require. Now the only things I have to do this week is go to the Gyno, see an optometrist, have a Tb skin test done, and check on my dental x-rays. All I can say is that the Peace Corps does not make it easy to leave the country.

Well this girl has been pinched and prodded enough. Check in with you all later

No comments:

Post a Comment